girl and chalk

Hurricane Sandy Relief Information


Register for FEMA here:

When you apply for disaster assistance please have the following available:


New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA)

If you are in public housing without electric, elevators, heat or water, you are expected to continue to pay rent and will receive a rent credit in the January 2013 rent bill for your time without utilities.


For people who need house repairs but have no money: The Rapid Repairs program will have contractors, plumbers and electricians go door to door to repair damaged homes. Homeowners can also make their own arrangements for repairs and apply through FEMA for reimbursement.

To make an appointment for Rapid Repair service, visit Homeowners must also register for a FEMA ID number from or 1-800-621-3362.

If you have incurred spoilage losses during a power outage, you may file a claim with Con Edison. To file a claim, either fill out a claim form or write a letter within 30 days of the power outage.

Emergency Transfers for Section 8 Voucher Holders

If you have Section 8 through NYCHA and have permanently lost your home due to Hurricane Sandy, you may be eligible for an emergency transfer voucher.:





Public Housing Residents can apply for personal property loss through FEMA:

Wreckage Removal

State and local governments who are public assistance applicants may be reimbursed by the Department of Homeland

Foreclosure Protection:

If you have lost food due to power outages that lasted longer than 4 hours or flooding, and you are currently a Food Stamp/SNAP Recipient, you can request replacement SNAP Benefits: PDF Form:

Use form titled "Request for Replacement of Food Purchased with Food Stamps Benefits" at


For loss of work or income due to Hurricane Sandy, you must apply before December 3, 2012 for Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA). It is available for people who may not be eligible for regular unemployment insurance, including those who are self-employed. If you lost income or your job and live or work in the Bronx, Kings, New York, Richmond, Queens, Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland and Westchester counties, you may qualify for DUA. Those eligible can receive between $152 and $405 per week for up to 27 weeks while they remain unemployed as a result of the disaster.

How do I apply?

Applications should be made as soon as possible, but no later than December 3, 2012. To apply, call the Department of Labor's Telephone Claims Center (TCC) at1-888-209-8124, apply online at , or apply in person at a local DOL One-Stop Career Center or a FEMA Disaster Recovery Center. You should apply as soon as possible to see if you qualify.

More information:

Assistance for small business

Comprehensive list of resources:


  • Register for Assistance: Survivors in declared counties in New York, New Jersey, andConnecticut can register for assistance. Learn more information and FAQs before you apply for assistance.
  • Find Housing - The Department of Housing and Urban Development has help for people displaced by the storm, steps to take for a storm damaged home, and contacts if you feel you have experienced housing discrimination.

Avoid Disaster Scams - Learn how to avoid charity and home repair scams after a disaster, from the Federal Trade Commission.

Resources for Seniors

Assistance for small business

FEMA Public Assistance Reimbursement Guidelines

Applicant handbook from the Hurricane Irene emergency declaration

FEMA Sandy rumor control

If Hurricane Sandy Forced You From Your Zone A Apartment, You're Entitled To A Rent Reduction:


Department of Labor DUA Fact Sheet
Information for the Self-Employed and Farmers
Other Hurricane Sandy Department of Labor Services

LawHelp has prepared a comprehensive list of resources available to people harmed by Hurricane Sandy at:

The State has set up an Emergency Assistance Hotline: 1-855-NYS-SANDY (1-855-697-7263)

Red Cross

Red Hook Initiative

FEMA Disaster Recovery Centers In NYC


Edgewater Park Volunteer Fire Station
1 Adee Drive, Open 7 days, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.


  • Cyclone Stadium (1904 Surf Ave.) Open Saturday-Thursday 8 a.m. - 8 p.m., Friday 8 a.m. - 7 p.m.
  • Holy Family Roman Catholic Church (9719 Flatlands Ave.) Open 7 days, 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
  • IKEA (1 Beard St.) Open 7 days, 9:30 a.m. - 8 p.m.
  • Our Lady of Solace, Gymnasium (2866 West 17th St.) Open 7 days, 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.


  • Coffey Park (85 Richards St., Far Rockaway) Open 7 days, 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
  • Community Church of the Nazarene (1414 Central Ave., Far Rockaway) Open 7 days, 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
  • Fort Tilden Park (1199 Rockaway Point Blvd., Breezy Point) Open 7 days, 8:30 a.m. - 8 p.m.
  • Duane Reade (B116 Beach Channel Drive, Rockaway Park) Open 7 days, 8:30 a.m. - 8 p.m.
  • New Cassel Community Center Garden (141 Garden St., Far Rockaway) Open 7 days, 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.

Staten Island:

  • Borough Hall (10 Richmond Terrace) Open 7 days, 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
  • Corner of Father Capodanno Blvd. and Hunter Ave. Open 7 days, 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
  • Miller Field (600 New Dorp Lane) Open 7 days, 8:30 a.m. - 8 p.m.
  • Mount Manresa Jesuit House (239 Fingerboard Rd.) Open 7 days, 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
  • Mt. Loretto - CYO (6581 Hylan Blvd.) Open 7 days, 8:30 a.m. - 8 p.m.
  • Midland Beach (981 Father Capodanno Blvd. at Hunter Ave.) Volunteers are needed to drive, sort items and unload vehicles at this location.

Overnight Shelters:

Daytime Warming Shelters:



Medical Van Locations:

Updated November 14, 2012

11 Broadway, Suite 450 New York, NY 10004 Phone: 212.964.8934 ext.201